Monday, May 18, 2009

On US soil, once again


With this move to Japan, we've been able to experience a new and different culture, Nippon style - the shrines, the konbinis, the social rules, hello kitty.  But, we've also been immersed into another very new type of culture - Military culture.  My maternal grandfather served in the military for a very long time, as did all 4 of my maternal uncles (my Uncle Gary's gravesite lies in Arlington in the shadow of the Pentagon), and even my own father served for while.  But, while my mom spent her whole childhood in this culture, I have had no previous experience.  My dad's run in the Air Force ended before my time and I don't remember my grandfather or uncles being on active duty, except Gary, but his whereabouts and activities were always a secret.  I think he was some kind of spy. For real. 
So, being here, at cfay (commander fleet activities yokosuka) is a new experience and a new culture in and of itself, Naval style - the uniforms, the acronyms, the id cards, the ships.  Aw, finally the segue into the subject of my post.  
Yesterday, we finally, once again placed our feet onto "US soil" when we got to see the inner workings of the USS George Washington, the nuclear propelled supercarrier, as tall as a 24 story building, able to accomodate about 80 aircraft and over 6,000 crewmembers, that now makes it's home here in Yokosuka.  The husband of a co-worker of Trips' (who is stationed on the GW) took us on a very informative and super cool tour.  Even the girls got to go along. 
Robert was an awesome tour guide.  Not only very knowlegable (he had the patch to prove it), but very enthusiastic and hospitable.   He was the first to say, "hey Stella, why don't you jump up in the CO's chair and get a picture" or "let me put you on this helo so your mom can get a picture".  He even bought her a snickers in the galley.   From a mom's perspective, this is major and made my experience even more enjoyable.

It was an awesome experience to see something so out of the realm of our ordinary, everyday life.  Not only the everyday life we were used to in KY before we moved here, but the everyday life we are experiencing right now in Japan and in life on the base.  There are many, many people who make the GW their workplace and home and it's something very different than what we know.  
I suppose, though, with each new experience, whether Nippon or Naval, the ordinary, everyday life we were used to is changing and evolving, as are we.

This is not my photograph, which is pretty obvious, but I thought I'd add the disclaimer anyway.
My pictures posted on our photo journal page.  


2 comments:

randy said...

why are you not a journalist?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Carlye said...

Amazing!!! You need to write a book about your experience in Japan : )